DLC: in Need of Better Terminology
I’m lacking better terminology for DLC (downloadable content) for games. Terms like “DLC”, “content packs”, “microtransactions” are used interchangeably, ambiguously and confusingly.
Here’s my suggestion:
- DLC: all forms of downloadable content.
- Box Product: the opposite of DLC.
- Add-On: umbrella name for all expansions/microcontent, downloadable or not.
- Expansion: larger addition of content, adds roughly 50% of original gameplay. Can be DLC or box product.
- Microcontent: smaller DLC including sprite packs, level packs, etc.
- Patch: free game update with bug fixes and features.
- Bundle: collection of games, or game + add-on. Can be DLC or box product.
Do you have a better set of definitions? Please comment!