Landing Page Product (LAPP)
I want to build, and encourage others to build, this kind of web product:
- You get immediate value from the product, right from the landing page.
- No signup needed to use (initially).
- No purchase needed to use (initially).
The idea started with this tweet, and Mikael Emtinger came up with the excellent name: Landing Page Product (LAPP). A product that is fully enjoyable on its landing page. Another way of putting it: the app is also its own sales presentation.
Building a LAPP
What do you need to consider when building a Landing Page Product?
- Removing dependencies to having a User object in your data structure.
- Storing data in localStorage before the user has signed up.
- Possibly generating a unique user ID (uuid) and storing it in localStorage.
- Measuring all events leading up to user signup.
Immediate Value Product (IVP)
Maybe “Immediate Value Product” (IVP) is a better name? Compare with Minimum Viable Product (MVP).